Brussels, 23 November 2017: At the EuroPAwards ceremony held on 22 November, Fire Safe Europe’s #EUCanBeFireSafe campaign won awards in two categories: “Lobbying the European Parliament” and “Best NGO campaign of the year”.
The European Parliament took the initiative to organise a plenary debate on fire safety in buildings on 13 September 2017. For this crucial event, FSEU decided to craft a powerful 3-weeks public affairs campaign to inform Members of the European Parliament about key issues on fire safety and show them what the EU can do to improve the situation. The goal was to ensure fire safety in buildings would become a priority in the political agenda of the EU.
For this campaign, Fire Safe Europe was lucky to receive support from all sides; hence we dedicate these two awards to all those who contributed with their time, energy and heart to the campaign:
- All the firefighters who came to support the campaign in front of the European Parliament, going as far as bringing a fire truck!
- The fire experts and researchers who support us, challenge us, and provide expertise on fire safety;
- Over 1.000 people signed the #EUCanBeFireSafe petition on Avaaz, wanting a fire safe future;
- The Members of the European Parliament who supported our campaign and especially the 29 who took the floor at the 13 September debate to demand the European Commission to improve fire safety in buildings;
- The Saper Vedere agency played a key role in making the campaign a success. Throughout this campaign, two teams came together to find creative ideas to achieve and even surpass the campaign’s objectives.
“A big thank you to all our supporters! Not only have we won two EuroPAwards, but most importantly, the European Commission announced the creation of a Fire Information Exchange Platform (FIEP), where the Member States and stakeholders can discuss fire safety issues and work together on solutions. Fire Safety is now on the agenda of the EU, and by working together, we will keep improving fire safety in Europe for all citizens. The #EUCanBeFireSafe campaign is an inclusive campaign, and everyone is welcome to participate in this crucial debate.” says Juliette Albiac, Managing Director of Fire Safe Europe.
About Fire Safe Europe